Friday, October 31, 2008

Running

So, my workout this morning was running on the treadmill at the gym.
Why do I run????
The psychology of my running is something I think about. What is my motivation?
If you are not having your life threatened in some way, why the hell run??? Yet, I think a lot of it has to do with genetics and physical makeup. My son, for example, has about 2% body fat, is constantly wired, and can go from 0-60 in about 2 seconds, and doesn't think twice about it. I may start calling him Dash! Me, being on the heavy side most of my life, have typically hated running. On my mission, my companion would want to go running in the mornings, I would say," you run, I'll ride my bike along side".

runner

I think last year sometime, I extolled my new philosophy that skinny people are runners, and I wanted to be a skinny people, therefore running must be somehow embraced. I've been trying to do that. Lately, I've been trying to get in a minimum of 6 miles per week. 6 miles isn't much, but its what I do right now. 98% of the time I run on the treadmill at the gym, like this morning. I need to change that though, and get outside more. I think I may start to try and run outside more, even though winter is coming. You can run when its cold too - you just have to bundle up more. (Note to self - get cold weather training gear).

Anyway, I plan to hit the new Legacy Parkway trail tomorrow morning. Probably just 3-4 miles, we'll see.

Speaking of the psychology of running, I found this article interesting and somewhat inspirational.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/story/713652597451/why_do_i_run

Read and enjoy. I will have to come up with some reasons why I run.
For now, they are:
-I want to be a skinny person, and lose weight.
-To push myself. Harder, faster, longer than the time before.
-To clear my head and think.
etc.....

No comments: