Monday, October 13, 2008

Is it vanity????

I don't know and I don't care. Today I was at my 'other' office. Right now I work across town from my company's main office. I haven't been back to the 'home' office in about a month, and I had to go there today for a meeting. Knowing this, I purposely wore my new size 42 cargo pants (which make me look slim) and new XL size shirt. Now, these people all saw me only a month ago. Yet, I must have had 10-20 comments today from co-workers about how great I looked.

The one that cracks me up the most is: "I didn't even recognize you. I had to do a double take." My old boss hit me with that one as soon as I came through the front door, and I had 2 others say the same thing. But mostly, it was a lot of "you look great", "good job", "I can't believe how skinny you are". I try to be gracious and just say "thank-you".

I will say that the compliments motivate me. It motivates me to keep going, working out and working hard. Now, I hope that my self esteem is not so based on other people's opinions that when I finally get to my goal weight, that I will feel letdown due to no more comments. I think I feel pretty good about myself and what I've accomplished, so I don't think I'll miss it too much. But for now, I'll enjoy the compliments while they last.

This also has me thinking that I need to be more complimentary to others. We have a lady in our ward who has lost a ton of weight, like myself. I haven't ever talked to her about it, but I really felt on Sunday that I should. I didn't, but I will. You never know the light you bring into someone else's life through a compliment or a kind word. I know what it does for me at least.

2 comments:

Melanie Bingham said...

Feels good to be in your skin...that's not vanity that's something else! go bro go!

Kelli said...

Matt! I am amazed at your dedication and determination, obviously it's paying off. You look amazing! So go ahead and be a little bit vain with your skinny self :)