Tuesday, February 27, 2007

1 mile

One mile. That will be my training ground for the next month or so. In my quest to do a 5k this summer, I figure I'd better start with covering 1 mile first, then move on to 2 and 3 miles as I go. Ok, so when I walk at 3.5 miles an hour, I can cover a mile in a little over 17 minutes. As I've said before, I want to be able to jog and do it quicker. Today, I warmed up on the bike for 10 minutes, then I hopped on the treadmill. I set the program for 'distance' = 1 mile. It was then up to me to set the variable speed I would go at. In the end, it would tell me how long it took to cover that 1 mile. Watching my progress tick by in 1/100 mile increments, I decided I could jog at 4.5 mph for 0.1 miles at a time. So, I'd jog for 0.1 miles, and then walk for 0.1 miles. Back and forth. In the end I finished the mile in 15 minutes 10 seconds. Not bad for my first time trial. Hopefully, I can increase the amount of time I'm jogging, and get to the point where I can jog that whole mile. Gees, I have not done that since high school. It might kill me! :-)

Oh, and I need to stretch better before I begin. My hammies were a little tight when I was done.

No comments: