Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Short Term Goals

I wish that I could keep up this rate of weight loss forever. I'd reach my ultimate goal in no time. For now I will take what I can get, but I do realize that it will slow down. Eventually, I will have to stop losing lean body mass and body fat, and pretty much stick to losing fat only.

I've been thinking about some near term goals.

1) Current weight loss contest at work. It is an 8 week contest. There are 13 participants, all at various levels of fitness. The winner of the contest is the person that loses the most weight by %, and the most body fat by %. Add those two numbers together, and the highest score wins. This means that, being the heaviest person in the contest, I have to lose more body weight just to keep up with the smaller folks (did I mention I'm 6' 4"?). OK, so I know its crazy, but I think I can drop 10% of my original 405 in just 8 weeks. Yes, that is a loss of 41 lbs! So, the goal is, on March 19th, Final weigh in, be at 364, and 37% body fat (which would be a 3.1% body fat loss).

2) I want to run a 5K. First let me state, I detest running/jogging. Walking is ok, but me and jogging have never gotten along. But, I can't help but notice, at the gym, and elsewhere, that serious runners are some of the most lean people in the world. I can't even jog a 1/4 mile right now with out getting my heart rate way into orbit, and my knees don't care for the pounding they take in this activity. So, I've got to give it some time, and work into it. Its only 3.1 miles. I want to be ready to go by July 4th. I'm hoping that I can be down to somewhere around 330 by that point. My local town does a little 5K early in the morning on the 4th of July. I plan to enter. Now I can walk a mile in about 18 minutes, which means I could walk the thing in an hour. But the point is to go faster. Initially, I'm thinking 45 minutes. I know, thats a snails pace, but may be a jog/walk thingy. We'll see. As I train with this as a goal, I can refine my goal as I go.

Visualize the best YOU you can be.

No comments: