Friday, February 4, 2011

A pound is a pound is a pound

Guess how much weight I lost this week?

Yes, 1 frigging pound.

Now, the man or woman who is within 10% of their goal weight might be satisfied with such a number, but I am not. Not in the least.
-I worked out hard this week. Tried to get in at least 45 min in each session. I even worked out twice last Friday. Yes, I took Sunday and Monday off, but 6 workouts in the week between weigh ins should be cutting it.
-I ate good. Did I cheat a little? Sure. But not bad. Not whole cheat meals. A bite here and there. Hmmmm.... Probably still need to tighten that up. I need to eat more often, and smaller meals, and more protein.
-My body fat % dropped. If I crank the numbers on this, it would mean that I gained 1.5 lbs of lean muscle, and dropped 2.5 lbs of fat. Net loss = 1 lb. But these days, I don't believe that number too much. You see, at the beginning of the year, my BF% was 41. At MD diet they use a foot impedance machine, so it is primarily measuring through your legs. At home I use an arm one. My one at home had been showing me drop from that 41%, but when I went back to MD diet last week, I was still at 41%, which pissed me off. My BF monitor at home gave me a reading of 38.8% this morning, down from 39.4% last week. Fact is, unless you do a dunk tank measurement, it's hard to know for sure what your true BF% is. All the BF scales in the world are just good guesses. So, why use the BF monitor? It gives me a gauge each week to see how I'm doing. Going up, or down.


In the end, I probably did gain muscle and lose fat this week. So, that is good. The frustration comes from looking back at my progress in 2008, and I was losing 4-5lbs / week at this point in the process. It could also be that the drugs are not as effective to me now as they once were.
Regardless of those things, I have to keep going. Like most things in life, I want this NOW, and I don't like waiting. Yet, I know that it is a process, and it takes time. It takes time to change habits. It takes time to get your body convinced that it should let go of the fat that it has.

I was thinking about it this morning in the shower.... I'm hoping it's like a dam, with a small crack in it. It lets out water ever so slowly at first, but the more water that continues to be let out, the more 'erosion' occurs, and the crack gets bigger, and then before you know it, the rate of water (fat) leaving increases. Maybe a rock comes along and gets stuck in the crack every now and then, and the flow slows a little (plateau). Eventually, the water works on that rock enough to make it move, or the dam material around the rock moves, allowing the blockage to go free. Yes, I want the floodgates to open now, and just be done with it, but that's now how it works - and I would kill all the people and things living down stream ( I have no idea what the correlates to). So, for now it's a bit of a dam problem. But, I will work my dam hardest to keep going. The dam will eventually break from the pressure of the water due to gravity. My own personal dam will eventually break, due to the pressure I place on it by consistently working out and eating right.

Was that long winded enough?

Lastly, stats..

This week
1 lb down, 21 total in 5 weeks
BF down 0.6% Down 2.2% in 5 weeks.

No comments: