Monday, March 26, 2012

Slow and Steady wins the race



We've all heard the old tale about the tortoise and the hare. The rabbit, built for speed, and an obvious favorite, did not win the race. It was, in fact, the lowly tortoise that won the race. The tortoise, who took his time, but stayed the coarse, and eventually beat that crazy rabbit.
I'm finding that this is the mantra of WW. Like, many diets, they highly encourage you to only lose 1-2 lbs per week or no more than 1% of your body weight (whichever is greater). I've always heard this, but really paid no attention to it. Pfffft! only losing 1-2 lbs a week was for losers or those who were so close to their goal that that was all that was reasonable. Serious losers, those who watch what they eat to the gram, those who exercise an hour+ each day, those who are hard core, they, they can lose up to 4-6 lbs per week, maybe more. I know - I've done it. Yet it doesn't work in the end. Because I'm fat again.
So, this time, I'm taking the role of the tortoise. It's hard. Those big loses previously, really kept me motivated. But maybe, just maybe, they are on to something here. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. I'm not hurrying up to do this, so I can get back to my real life after I've lost my weight. Hello! Getting back to 'real life' gets you back where you started. I need to change the way I eat - something I can maintain for the rest of my life. This is what I'm trying to learn w/ WW.
So, all of that being said. I lost 3 lbs this week, which is just about right for me. I was hoping for more. But I've got to remember, I'm the tortoise in all of this.

No comments: