Friday, April 15, 2011

Capable of so much more....


These are words that I've always dreaded. Growing up, there were always reminders of the fact that I had all the gifts and tools to do great things, but I always seemed to fall short.
-I'm a smart dude, but I pulled very average grades.
-I am/was 6'4", and big and strong, but was a very mediocre HS athlete.
-I am a friendly person, and get along well with others, but I don't seem to be a great leader.
-I am a decent engineer with good creative intuition and instincts, but I'm not world class.
-I make decent money, but I live in a small house, and I'm not really getting ahead.

Potential vs. reality.

A lot of this has to do with work ethic. In some ways, I am a hard worker, but I know that I am very lazy too. I totally admire people that have a strong work ethic. They are the people that seem to succeed in life, they are the ones that set goals and achieve them, they are the ones who take every ounce of talent that they've been given, and couple it with hard work, sweat and determination to get the very most out of life. They give it their all, and are not afraid of failure. They don't just get by, they get ahead.

How does one change their work ethic? I don't think its by blogging about it. Is it God given, or is learned? Does it have to be taught or instilled by a parent, or can it be self taught as an adult. To be honest, I'm not totally sure. I don't even know if it can be changed. But, I am going to try and find out.

So, why this thought, this week. Well, cuz it was another mediocre week, a week that could have been so much more. Another week where I did lose weight, but I was not on my game, and my eating sucked, and the results could have been so much better. It is a balancing act. It's tax time. Lot's going on with kid's baseball and soccer. I've starting refereeing soccer. Work is busy and stressful. There's a lot going on. Yet, all of these factors didn't make me eat a blueberry muffin today. Some of them may have made me miss a workout or two. The thing is, I still see the whole situation as something that I can manage, its fixable. The major question is, if not now, when?

As I mentioned, I ref'd my first ever soccer matches this week. It was bad and good.
The bad: It was cold, windy, raining, sleet and a little bit of snow. The field was a a big patch of 3 inch deep mud, and wide pools of standing water. By the end, I couldn't tell that I had black shoes and socks on, because I as brown from the knee down.

The good: I think I did a good job. I only had a couple of calls questioned, and the games went well. And in the end, I had a coach tell me "it' nice to have a ref who knows what they are doing". I pride myself on knowing the game. I know that I have a ton to learn about ref'ing, but I'm excited to learn. I know, I'm a geek. The other part of the good is the fact that it gets me out there running around a bit. Extra movement and calorie burn is always a good thing. And it provides a bit of motivation too. My uniform is a bit snug, and I just don't want that. I also want to be able to move around a bit better on the field. I don't want to be the ref that the players complain about because he is always out of position to make the right call.


My head is still in a good place. I know I can do better. I'm working toward that.

Current Weight: 347 lbs. <> 2 lbs lost this week <> 43 lbs overall in 15 weeks.
Current BF%: 37.4 <> Down 0.1 this week. <> Down 4.3% in 15 weeks.

1 comment:

Melanie B said...

Don't be so hard on yourself those are awesome numbers. I could also leave a very long comment about all of the the things you are incredible at but it will have to wait for another comment forum because I'm about to fall asleep typings this...to much cold medicine and not enough sleep. Keep is up. And Oh by the way if you do eat say an after dinner mint, bluberry muffine or anything like that, I'm more than happy to take your money. :) as I'm sure you feel the same about me. I'm going to have to duck tape my fridge at night!!!!!