Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Listen to my heart


As an engineer by trade, I love numbers. My kids think I'm a bit weird, that is, until I can totally explain their math homework. But anyway, I love numbers, and metrics, and trends, etc. There is science behind losing weight. At the very center, make calories out be greater than calories in, and you have the basic equation for losing weight.

I am able figure out the calories in part, and track it using Sparkpeople or any calorie counting program. BUT how do you know how many calories you are burning? If you work out on a treadmill or an elliptical, it will tell you a few things. If you hold the hand grips, it will tell you your heart rate. If you enter your age and weight, it will give you a calories expended output. There is a limitation to those numbers.
1) They are not 100% accurate. The treadmill does not ask for my body fat % or how fit I am, so the calories it says that I'm expending are probably an average.
2) I believe the heart rate to be fairly correct, but you have to hold on to the sensors to get a reading each time. I'd rather not have to do that all the time.
3) The machines are only a snapshot of what you are doing while on them. What about when I lift weights? What about when I jog somewhere other than a treadmill?

Calories expended during the day is a studied science, but something that is still unique to each individual. I have a formula that I found that takes into account your lean body mass ( meaning that its the muscle part of things that is doing the work, not the fat).

It is stated: BMR = 370+(21.6 x Lean Body Mass(kg))

That produces a number that says I need X number of calories just to function each day. You then get to put a multiplier on it if you workout. In my case, the multiplier is 1.5. This is called TDEE. It stands for Total Daily Energy Expended.

Right now, mine is around 3800 calories. If I stay under that, by say 1000-1500 calories per day, then I lose weight.

So, back to the ways to measure my calories out. I need a device. I need a tool.

Right now I am considering the following:
Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin FR60 Heart Rate Monitor
BodyBugg Calorie Tracker

I've had a polar HRM before, and I liked it. There are pros and cons to each. I'm leaning right now toward getting one of the HRM's (Garmin or Polar), and then, maybe later picking up the Bodybugg.

I'll let you know what happens.

2 comments:

Mark and Jana said...

I have used the body bugg and I liked it. I was a great way to visually see what you are expending. That's my vote. I have the old school one and I think the newer versions have gotten much better.

Melanie B said...

I think I've had a light come on and I FINALLY get it and you are correct on both counts, you need to listen to your heart AND pay attention to ALL the numbers. They don't lie. Granted I still think your body can do odd things at times but I think you're on the right track.